You are currently viewing How to Deal with Mold on Drywall

How to Deal with Mold on Drywall

What is Mold?

Mold is a harmful type of fungus that can grow unchecked on damp surfaces. Tiny particles called mold spores can float undetected in air when there’s moisture nearby. When they deposit on a surface, they cling to it and begin to proliferate. This results in ugly green, blue or black patches to form.

What Causes It?

Mold often grows in damp, dark places. It can form due to:

  • Heavy rainfall
  • Flooding
  • Plumbing leaks
  • Changes in weather: high levels of humidity
  • Improper indoor ventilation

Where Does It Grow?

You’d assume mold only grows on damp surfaces. But that’s not the case. It can be found anywhere in the house including:

  • In bathrooms (most commonly)
  • In the kitchen
  • On furniture
  • On clothing
  • On walls— even drywall

Why Do You Need to Remove Mold?

Mold is dangerous for health. Once mold starts to grow, you can begin to experience health problems such as allergies and serious respiratory illnesses. If there are people with weak immune systems in the household, they can fall seriously ill.

What to Do When You Spot Mold?

If you’ve discovered mold in any area of your home, you should contact a professional. For mold on drywall, professional removal services can come in handy. The removers will come inspect your property and let you know whether the wall needs repair or removal.

Some homeowners attempt to remove the mold themselves.

Here’s Why You Shouldn’t do That:

  1. Drywalls are porous surfaces. Mold not only lodges on the surface, but spreads its roots deeper. As a fungus, it has several underlying branches that aren’t visible on the outside. You might think you’ve managed to successfully remove mold because the patches are gone, but it could start growing again through the roots.
  2. If the mold spreads, it could eat up your whole wall. You might have failed to remove the entire mold and it could be spreading deeper. It’ll slowly destroy your walls without showing external signs of damage and the wall can collapse. Professional removers will get rid of the mold for good and also check if your drywall needs repair.
  3. Cleaning solutions can be toxic. Most people automatically resort to bleach when they think of cleaning. Bleach can produce toxic fumes that are hazardous to human health. A professional repair and removal surface makes sure that the methods used to remove mold are safe.
  4. Mold spreads spores if disturbed. Remember that when you’re cleaning. Mold will spray tiny spores into the atmosphere that you can end up inhaling. These spores can also deposit somewhere else and begin to grow again.


Mold can grow in many places in a household. Presence of moisture causes it to multiply and spread. Mold can be seriously harmful to health and needs to be removed. The proper way to get rid of mold on drywall is to contact professional drywall repair services.